Wednesday 15 June 2016

Finishing University and What Comes Next

It has been almost an entire year since I last posted a blog here. A lot longer than I am proud of. But now that university has finished and I have no deadlines around every corner, I've decided I'm going to start posting here again. I'm aiming for a post a week, optimistically, so we'll see how that goes.

Since the last three years of my life have been dedicated to my degree, I feel my first post should be about that such thing.

University takes up a lot of time. Even though it's only three days a week, it embroils itself into every aspect of your life. Your closest allies become those in your course, your computer becomes filled with mountains of documents for each module. Even when you go out you're wondering how you can incorperate the experience into an assignment. Well, I was anyway, but I have always been known to be a bit OTT when it comes to work.


I have adored my degree. It's been my home. Not only has it given me the opportunity to meet some amazing people who will be friends for life, but it has helped me to advance my writing skills exponentially. I experienced and adored modules I would have never seen myself taking. I can now call myself a screenwriter, a novelist and a journalist. University has taught me a lot about my own determination, resiliance and talents.

Now the big question is 'what comes next?'. When my lectures finished April and my deadlines came and went in April, I was thrilled to have some time where I could sit down, in my PJs, and watch iZombie back to back without feeling guilty. Or pick up a book and read without feeling the need to somehow fit it into one of my assignments. However, that freedom-feeling passed quite quickly. The nothingness soon reminded me that I would not be going back to university in September. So the job-hunt began.

Over my time at university I have tried hard to amount up experience that would help me to achieve a job at the end of my degree. I used my spare time to not have to worry at the end about what I would with no employment positions under my belt. However, it doesn't appeared to have helped as much as I had hoped. I failed to remember that everyone in England was finishing their degree at the exact same time as me, with thousands of people finishing the same course and wanting the same job. So every application I have been sending out has been returned to me with an upsetting decline.

Leaving university is difficult and I don't want anyone to have any preconceptions that it's any different. It's a race to find a job before your flat contract ends. It's a panic at what you're possibly going to do with your life now. But it's not all terrifying. I have some great contacts who want to help me find a job and are doing everything they can to help. I have some incredible family and friends who keep a smile on my face and constantly remind me that something will come along. And I have First Class Honours degree that I can be proud of, knowing I put everything I had into it and it paid off. There are so many opportunities out there and it only takes one person, one job posting, to spot you in the crowd.

What comes next is difficult to define but I know it will be as exciting as what has come before. I look forward to the next challenge, the new friends I will make and the hurdles of adult life I am about to face. Plus I have a wedding to plan and what came be more exciting than that?

Until next time readers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List